Lawn Care Laborer
This non-exempt position is responsible for performing a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled landscape tasks including horticulture, grounds maintenance, and equipment operation; perform related work as required.
The examples of functions listed in this job description are representative, but not necessarily exhaustive, of any one position in this job classification. Management may assign other functions not listed herein at its sole discretion.
Performs grounds maintenance functions (e.g., pulling weeds, raking, prepares plant beds, basic pruning and detailing, sweeping sidewalks, and cleaning debris); recognizes horticultural hazards; clears ditches, digs holes, and performs handwork as necessary using a pick, shovel, or other hand tools (e.g., pruners, shovel, rake, broom, clippers, lopping shears, pole pruner); waters vegetation using a hose; cleans canals, drains, and tree wells; operates light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” mower, leaf blower, stick edger, wheel barrow, string trimmer); operates heavy landscape equipment (e.g., 36” mower, ZTR mowers, aerator, push spreader, bed edger, hedge shears, chain saw; chipper, stump grinder, pruning saw); maintains tools and equipment to ensure safety; actively participates in safety meetings; role models PPE usage; plants vegetation as instructed; performs Winter Service (e.g., snow clearing, winter watering, installations, pruning) as needed; uses assigned tools and equipment safely; assists in keeping the job site safe for the public and company employees; actively contributes to achieving performance goals (e.g., job quality, safety, customer service); complies with all company policies and safety procedures; works effectively in a group; takes direction from the Foreman and follows instructions; communicates effectively with the Foreman and co-workers; makes proper cuts to maintain plant/tree health; maintains lawns and planter beds as directed by the Foreman; works efficiently to complete assigned tasks without supervision; immediately reports unsafe conditions or faulty equipment to the Foreman; installs annual color, plants, and trees; properly installs tree stakes and ties; applies basic herbicides and chemicals (e.g., fertilizer, Round Up, Fusillade) to landscape safely; uses chemical application equipment (e.g., back pack sprayer,) safely; demonstrates proper horticultural practices; demonstrates basic knowledge plant pests and appropriate pesticide to apply; performs various types of pruning (e.g., hard pruning, natural pruning, formal pruning); properly prepares soil and installs annual color, plants, and trees; properly installs tree stakes and ties; trims trees using a pole pruner, demonstrates proper horticultural practices; demonstrates basic knowledge plant pests and appropriate pesticide to apply; demonstrates basic knowledge of irrigation systems and how to complete irrigation repairs; can lead the operational aspects of a work crew; capable of visually identifying at least 10 native plants and trees by name; capable of visually identifying common native grasses and turfs by name; properly prepares soil and installs annual color, plants, and trees; properly installs tree stakes and ties; works with ladders safely; and provides excellent service (e.g., accurate, complete, and timely) to clients, work-site partners, and company staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
Knowledge Areas: Safe work practices; proper watering techniques; light landscape equipment procedures; demanding landscape equipment procedures, and hand tools; various plants and their proper care; insects; weeds; application methods and safety precautions for applying fertilizers, pesticides, and chemicals; appropriate watering techniques; methods of soil preparation and conditioning; PPE; basic mathematics; and company customer service objectives, norms, and strategies.
Skills: Use and maintain hand tools (e.g., shovel, rake, broom) and light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” lawn mowers, string trimmer, stick edger, bed edger) and demanding landscaping equipment (e.g., 36” and ZTR lawn mowers, chippers, chain saws, stump grinders, pruning saw) properly and safely; use all PPE as required; prune trees with proper equipment; apply chemicals, fertilizers, and fungicides correctly; plant various types of vegetation (e.g., trees, shrubs, and ground cover) properly; work independently; communicate and follow directions appropriately; time management to show up for work punctually and complete tasks efficiently; work well with others; and provide excellent customer service by ensuring clients/ needs are fulfilled in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion by demonstrating courtesy, efficiency, and professionalism.
· Safety: Performs all job functions safely; complies with all safety policies, procedures, and standards (e.g., PPE, proper lifting, wears seat belt when in a vehicle); reports all safety-related incidents to supervisor immediately; attends all safety meetings.
· Results Oriented: Maintains focus on outcomes; is proactive and goal oriented; concentrates on meeting objectives, delivering to the required time, cost and quality; holds performance as more important than process; sets specific, measurable and relevant goals and takes efficient action to accomplish success.
· Gardening Skills: Pulls weeds, rakes leaves, sweeps sidewalks, and cleans debris; prunes shrubs and low trees; grooms color beds; clears ditches, digs holes, and uses hand tools effectively; cleans canals, drains, and tree wells; plants vegetation correctly; uses burlaps effectively.
· Equipment Operation: Operates light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” mower, leaf blower, weed eater, stick edger, edger, and hedge trimmer) and demanding equipment (e.g., 36” and ZTR lawn mowers, chain saws, chipper, stump grinder) properly and safely.
· Job Quality: Understands the relationship between job quality and customer service, satisfaction, and retention; ensures landscape and horticulture quality standards are met for every job.
· Customer Service: Consistently exceeds customer expectations; keeps customers well-informed, listens to them attentively, and addresses their concerns; enacts a personal approach to customer service.
· Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with respect, collaboration, and support in such a way that work relationships are improved and morale is increased; is approachable; has effective communication skills.
An example of the preferred education, training, and/or experience that demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and competencies for this position includes: at least one (1) year of professional landscape and grounds management experience similar to that described above.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions required by this job classification. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an individual with qualified disabilities to perform the functions of this job classification, on a case-by-case basis.
Frequently stand, walk, or crouch on narrow and/or slippery surfaces; stoop, kneel, bend to pick up or move objects; walk for long distances and on sloped ground and uneven surfaces; move, lift, and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
SPECIAL NOTES, LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Pre-employment: Incumbents must sign the Confidentiality, Non-disclosure, and Non-solicitation Agreement prior to their first day on the job.
License: Incumbents are not required to possess a valid Illinois driver’s license.
Certifications: No certifications are required of this job classification.
Language: Though not required, bilingual English and Spanish skills are desirable.
Working Conditions: Work is predominately outdoors, exposed to varying temperatures, weather conditions, and noise levels; exposure to dust, pesticides, herbicides, grease, oils, dust, fumes, and electrical currents.
Background Investigation: Incumbents must have a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Misdemeanor and/or felony convictions may be disqualifying depending on type, number, severity, and recency. Prior to appointment, candidates may be subject to a background investigation and/or drug test.
Introductory Period: Incumbents appointed to this job classification serve an introductory period of three months.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The Key Performance Indicators for this position will be specified at the time of appointment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 - $18.00 per hour
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Lawn Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- zero turn mower operating: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- One location
Company's Facebook page: