Lawn Care Foreman
This non-exempt position is responsible for performing a variety of operational tasks involving horticulture, equipment operation, and site management; perform related work as required.
The examples of functions listed in this job description are representative, but not necessarily exhaustive, of any one position in this job classification. Management may assign other functions not listed herein at its sole discretion.
Routinely leads operational aspects of a full work crew, though is capable of overseeing multiple work crews if necessary; performs basic grounds maintenance procedures (e.g., weeding, raking, preparing planter beds, sweeping); operates various hand tools (e.g., leaf rake, shovel, hoe, hose, hand pruner, lopping shears, hedge shears), light equipment (e.g., blower, lawn mower, string trimmer, push spreader, bed edger, wheel barrow), and demanding equipment (e.g., ZTR lawnmowers, aerator, pruning saw, pole pruner, chainsaw, chipper, and stump grinder) safely and efficiently; works well on ladders; attends safety meetings; performs basic pruning, detailing, and installation procedures; recognizes horticultural hazards; performs Winter Service (e.g., snow clearing, winter watering, installations, pruning) as needed; applies herbicides, pesticides, and/or granular chemicals and spray chemicals from a backpack safely; makes proper cuts to maintain plant/tree health; trims trees using a pole pruner; identifies basic components of irrigation systems and makes small repairs as needed; demonstrates proper common and native names of plants and trees; demonstrates proper common and native names of grasses and turfs; demonstrates proper common insects and diseases; diagnoses and treats common landscape problems; manages PPE usage; communicates well with coworkers, clients, and management; understands contract specifications; trains subordinate staff; operates CrewTek correctly; conducts inventory and service sheets; understands job budget, budget hours, and costs; completes administrative duties (e.g., crew time cards, signs for plant delivery, equipment inventory, spray use reports, punch lists) on time; may drive a crew to/from work sites; documents safety and/or job issues using a camera phone; completes assignments within labor goals while ensuring all job quality performance expectations are met in accordance with company standards; attends walk-throughs; maintains tools and equipment; role models PPE usage; conducts safety audits; complies with all company policies and safety procedures; works effectively in a group; takes direction and follows instructions; properly prepares soil and installs annual color, plants, and trees; understands priorities for various jobs including how to approach job responsibilities; reports issues (e.g., irrigation, safety, equipment) to supervisor; and provides excellent service (e.g., accurate, complete, and timely) to clients, work-site partners, and company staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
Knowledge Areas: Safe work practices involving equipment, chemicals, and tools; proper watering techniques and plant care; basic mathematics; common names of all plants on assigned jobs; soil preparation and conditioning; administrative procedures (e.g., time cards, plant deliveries, equipment inventory, Spray Use reports, punch lists); irrigation fundamentals (e.g., valves, pipe, solenoid); basic coaching (e.g., direction, follow-up, training); job sequencing (e.g., yard departure, job efficiency, yard arrival); common names of various plants beyond those found on assigned jobs; job quality standards; routine maintenance procedures (e.g., cleaning, weeding, planting, irrigation, and watering); PPE; and customer service objectives, norms, and strategies.
Skills: Use hand tools (e.g., shovel, rake), equipment (e.g., weed eaters, lawn mowers), and chemicals (e.g., herbicides, fungicides) properly and safely; communicate and work effectively with others; time management; use all PPE as required; prune trees; plant various types of vegetation (e.g., trees, shrubs, and ground cover) properly; work independently; lead a single work crew; operate a camera phone correctly; remain organized; basic principles of irrigation systems; perform routine maintenance procedures (e.g., cleaning, weeding, planting, irrigation, and watering); follow directions; complete administrative forms (e.g., time cards, equipment inventory, Spray Use Reports); and provide excellent customer service by ensuring clients’ needs are fulfilled in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion by demonstrating courtesy, efficiency, and professionalism.
· Safety: Operates and maintains tools and equipment to ensure safety; attends safety meetings; wears proper PPE; wears seat belt when traveling in a company vehicle; demonstrates proper lifting procedures; performs all safety inspections; ensures compliance with all safety policies/reporting procedures.
· Results Oriented: Maintains focus on outcomes; is proactive and goal oriented; concentrates on meeting objectives, delivering to the required time, cost and quality; holds performance as more important than process; sets specific, measurable and relevant goals and takes efficient action to accomplish success.
· Horticulture: Pulls weeds, rakes leaves, sweeps sidewalks, and cleans debris; prunes shrubs and low trees; grooms color beds; clears ditches, digs holes, and uses hand tools effectively; cleans canals, drains, and tree wells; plants vegetation correctly; uses burlaps effectively.
· Field Operations Management: Manages all materials at the job site (e.g., preparation, planting, clean-up); handles chemicals (e.g., fertilizer, containers, SDS) properly; monitors irrigation controllers; understands proper pest and weed control methods.
· Job Quality: Understands the relationship between job quality and customer service, satisfaction, and retention; ensures landscape and horticulture quality standards are met for every job.
· Customer Service: Consistently exceeds customer expectations; keeps customers well-informed, listens to them attentively, and addresses their concerns; enacts a personal approach to customer service.
· Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with respect, collaboration, and support in such a way that work relationships are improved and morale is increased; is approachable; has effective communication skills.
An example of the preferred education, training, and/or experience that demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and competencies for this position includes: at least five (5) years of professional landscape and grounds management experience similar to that described above.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions required by this job classification. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an individual with qualified disabilities to perform the functions of this job classification, on a case-by-case basis.
Frequently stand, walk, or crouch on narrow and/or slippery surfaces; stoop, kneel, bend to pick up or move objects; walk for long distances and on sloped ground and uneven surfaces; move, lift, and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
SPECIAL NOTES, LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Pre-employment: Incumbents must sign the Confidentiality, Non-disclosure, and Non-solicitation Agreement prior to their first day on the job.
License: A valid Illinois driver’s license, which must be maintained throughout employment in this job classification, is required at the time of appointment.
Certifications: No certifications are required of this position.
Language: Though not required, bilingual English and Spanish skills are desirable.
Working Conditions: Work is predominately outdoors, exposed to varying temperatures, weather conditions, and noise levels; exposure to dust, pesticides, herbicides, grease, oils, dust, fumes, and electrical currents.
Background Investigation: Incumbents must have a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Misdemeanor and/or felony convictions may be disqualifying depending on type, number, severity, and recency. Prior to appointment, candidates may be subject to a background investigation and/or drug test.
Introductory Period: Incumbents appointed to this job classification serve an introductory period of three months.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The Key Performance Indicators for this position will be specified at the time of appointment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 - $22.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Lawn Care: 2 years (Preferred)
- Zero Turn Mower Operating: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- One location
Company's Facebook page: