This non-exempt position is responsible for performing a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled landscape tasks including digging, carrying materials, irrigation, drainage, and landscape equipment operation; perform related work as required.
The examples of functions listed in this job description are representative, but not necessarily exhaustive, of any one position in this job classification. Management may assign other functions not listed herein at its sole discretion.
Performs landscape enhancement functions (e.g., irrigation, drainage, horticulture, hardscape, pavers, grading); digs and back fills holes for plants, trees, and shrubs; and performs handwork as necessary using a pick, shovel, rake, or other hand tools (e.g., mulch forks, rakes, hoe); and operates light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” push mower, leaf blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer) and powered equipment (e.g., saws, drills, compactor and aerator); operates air-powered equipment (e.g., auger, jack hammer); waters trees using a hose; cleans tree wells; performs rough grading using a rake; carries and stages materials (e.g., sod, rocks, pavers and plants); maintains tools and equipment to ensure safety; thinks ahead and completes tasks efficiently within budget and timelines; demonstrates proper identification and fueling procedures for 2 Stroke and 4 Stroke engines; demonstrates basic planting of 7-15 gallon plants, 8-12” bedding flowers, 18”-36” container and B&B plants up to 3” caliper trees; attends safety meetings; applies basic fertilizer (e.g., Osmocote, Roots) to landscape; performs general clean up at the work site; performs final grading; plants vegetation and performs elevation tasks correctly; performs Winter Service (e.g., snow clearing, shoveling, and ice melt application) as needed;; sets sod, sprinkler heads, and tree stakes; role models PPE usage; performs various types of pruning (e.g., hard pruning, natural pruning, formal pruning); properly prepares soil and installs annual color, plants, and trees; properly installs tree stakes and ties; trims trees using a pole pruner, demonstrates proper horticultural practices; demonstrates basic knowledge plant pests and appropriate pesticide to apply; demonstrates basic knowledge of irrigation systems and how to complete irrigation repairs; capable of visually identifying at least 10 native plants and trees by name; capable of visually identifying common native grasses and turfs by name; properly prepares soil and installs annual color, plants, and trees; properly installs tree stakes and ties; works with ladders safely; and provides excellent service (e.g., accurate, complete, and timely) to clients, work-site partners, and company staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
Knowledge Areas: Safe work practices; proper watering techniques; proper operation of light landscape equipment, demanding landscape equipment, common names of 25 local plants (e.g., bedding flowers, ground cover, shrubs, perennials, trees, ferns); common names of 10 frequently seen weeds, common diseases, and pests; planting procedures, and their proper care; winter service; application methods and safety precautions for applying fertilizers; appropriate watering techniques; methods of soil preparation and conditioning; PPE; basic mathematics; and company customer service objectives, norms, and strategies.
Skills: Use and maintain hand tools (e.g., mulch forks, rakes, hoe); light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” push mower, leaf blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer); powered equipment (e.g., saws, drills, compactor and aerator); and air-powered equipment (e.g., auger, jack hammer); basic mathematics; apply fertilizers correctly; appropriate watering techniques; grading principles; perform winter service activities; sod application; plant various types of vegetation (e.g., trees, shrubs, and ground cover) properly; work independently; communicate and follow directions appropriately; time management to show up for work punctually and complete tasks efficiently; work well with others; and provide excellent customer service by ensuring clients’ needs are fulfilled in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion by demonstrating courtesy, efficiency, and professionalism.
- Safety: Performs all job functions safely; complies with all safety policies, procedures, and standards (e.g., PPE, proper lifting, wears seat belt when in a vehicle); reports all safety-related incidents to supervisor immediately; attends all safety meetings.
- Results Oriented: Maintains focus on outcomes; is proactive and goal oriented; concentrates on meeting objectives, delivering to the required time, cost and quality; holds performance as more important than process; sets specific, measurable and company-relevant goals and takes efficient action to accomplish success.
- Job Quality: Understands the relationship between job quality and customer service, satisfaction, and retention; ensures landscape and horticulture quality standards are met for every job.
- Installation: Clears and back fills trenches for irrigation, cement footings, and drains; removes soil and rocks; digs and back fills holes for plants, trees, and shrubs; performs rough grading using a rake; carries materials (e.g., sod, rocks, pavers, wood, and plants); cleans debris from work site; compacts base material properly; installs edging, geogrid, and adhesive properly.
- Equipment Operation: Operates light landscape equipment (e.g., 21” mower, leaf blower, weed eater, stick edger, edger, and hedge trimmer) and demanding equipment (e.g., 36” and ZTR lawn mowers, chain saws, chipper, stump grinder) properly and safely.
- Customer Service: Consistently exceeds customer expectations; keeps customers well-informed, listens to them attentively, and addresses their concerns; enacts a personal approach to customer service.
- Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with respect, collaboration, and support in such a way that work relationships are improved and morale is increased; has effective communication skills.
An example of the preferred education, training, and/or experience that demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and competencies for this position includes: at least one (1) year of professional landscape and grounds management experience similar to that described above.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions required by this job classification. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an individual with qualified disabilities to perform the functions of this job classification, on a case-by-case basis.
Frequently stand, walk, or crouch on narrow and/or slippery surfaces; stoop, kneel, bend to pick up or move objects; walk for long distances and on sloped ground and uneven surfaces; move, lift, and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
SPECIAL NOTES, LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Pre-employment: Incumbents must sign the Confidentiality, Non-disclosure, and Non-solicitation Agreement prior to their first day on the job.
License: Incumbents are not required to possess a valid Illinois driver’s license.
Certifications: No certifications are required of this job classification.
Language: Though not required, bilingual English and Spanish skills are desirable.
Working Conditions: Work is predominately outdoors, exposed to varying temperatures, weather conditions, and noise levels; exposure to dust, pesticides, herbicides, grease, oils, dust, fumes, and electrical currents.
Background Investigation: Incumbents must have a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Misdemeanor and/or felony convictions may be disqualifying depending on type, number, severity, and recency. Prior to appointment, candidates may be subject to a background investigation and/or drug test.
Introductory Period: Incumbents appointed to this job classification serve an introductory period of three months.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The Key Performance Indicators for this position will be specified at the time of appointment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $11.00 - $18.00 per hour
- landscaping: 1 year (Preferred)
- Normal, IL 61761 (Preferred)
- driver's (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- United States (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Employee discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules